Keene State College



Jamie Chevalier

“My favorite class at Keene State was Literary Analysis with Dr. Brinda Charry, who was also my advisor. I enjoy discussing literature with my classmates and professors as much as I love playing baseball.”

– Jamie Chevalier, English Major

How to Apply

First-Year or High School Applicants

Application Complete and submit the Common Application and the KSC Member Questions online.

Apply Online

Reactivation, Readmission, Graduate and Misc. forms


Fee Pay the $50 application fee as reflected on the Common Application website.

Transcript Submit an official copy of your high school transcript.

English 4 units
Mathematics Including at least Algebra I, Algebra II and Geometry 3 units
Sciences 3 units
Social Studies 2 units
Academic electives

Test Scores Have your official SAT reasoning test scores reported to KSC from the College Board.

Test scores will not be accepted on the high school transcript or paper photocopies.

Register for the SAT
Register for the ACT

(The ACT may be submitted in place of the SAT reasoning test)

Recommendation KSC requires one letter of recommendation from a school counselor, teacher, or school administrator. We prefer not to receive more than two letters.

Residency Statement New Hampshire residents that have been offered admission to KSC will be required to submit a notarized residency statement after May 1.

Application Status Check the status of your application.

Home-Schooled Applicants

Home-schooled applicants must submit the same credentials as entering first-year or high school applicants. If you choose to enroll at KSC, you will need to provide a final transcript, a General Equivalency Diploma (GED), or certificate of completion from your local school district or state board of education. If your home school program does not provide a “diploma” or official final transcript please call our office to discussion final documentation required before you enroll.

Transfer Applicant Instructions

Transfer students submit the same credentials as entering first-year or high school applicants.

In addition, they must provide official transcripts of all previous college study and a Transfer Applicant Confidential Recommendation Form.

The College encourages the competent student who has valid reasons for wishing to transfer, but cannot encourage the applicant with a history of academic or disciplinary difficulty.

Although there is no specific grade point average requirement; most admitted transfer students have a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or above. Grades earned at other institutions are not included in the computation of the student’s grade point average at Keene State.

Read more »

International Students

Keene State College welcomes well-qualified students from outside of the United States. Students from more than 20 countries are currently enrolled, helping enrich the educational opportunities of all.

Most international students enter Keene State with some academic credit from their home institutions. Transfer credit - including final years of secondary schooling - may be granted after a determination of the type of institution involved in its recognition by the educational authorities in the home country, and an evaluation of the content, level, and comparability of the study of courses and programs at Keene State.

A complete application for an international student requires the following:

  • A completed application using the common application
  • Official copies of secondary and postsecondary academic records with official English translations, when necessary, including:
    • Transcripts/marks sheets/grade reports of all course works completed with grades or marks for each course indicated
    • A course-by-course evaluation of international educational credentials completed by a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, Inc. A list is available from the Office of National and International Exchange, 603-258-2348.
  • International students living in the United States for two or more years attending high school must take the SAT.
  • Proof of language proficiency that can either be established by on-campus interviews, transcripts from English-language schools, or successful completion of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with total scores of 550 or above on the paper based or 213 on the computer-based test for undergraduates.TOEFL information is available at American embassies and consulates, offices of the U.S. International Communications agency, U.S. education commissions, foundations, and binational centers, or by writing to TOEFL, Box 899, Princeton, NJ 08541.
  • Documentation of financial support. Applicants must complete the Certification of Financial Support in the application as well as submit documentation that funds are available.

    A demonstrated level of support, not only for tuition and room and board, but also for living expenses (pocket money, books, etc.), is necessary.

    The Declaration of Finances form is available from the Admissions Office, the Office of National and International Exchange, or the College Entrance Examination Board, P.O. Box 592, Princeton, NJ 08541.

Process for Deferrals and Reactivation

Admitted students who would like to postpone enrollment at KSC for a semester or a year can request to defer or reactivate their application.

Deferrals are granted for either of two reasons:

  • Medical
  • Significant service commitment (Military, AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, etc.)

All deferrals are subject to approval, and will require supporting documentation. Enrollment Services Fees and Housing Deposits can be carried forward and applied the following semester or year.

Requests for deferrals must be put in writing and sent via e-mail to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Reactivation: Applicants who applied for admission to KSC during the past year but DID NOT enroll and are not eligible for deferral as outlined above may request reactivation. Reactivation applicants are not guaranteed admission. Previously paid Enrollment Services Fees and Housing Deposits are forfeited.

Students must complete the Reactivation Application form and submit it along with the $50 nonrefundable application fee.

Readmission Requirements

Matriculated students who have voluntarily withdrawn from the College, or have been separated from the College due to academic or disciplinary suspension, must apply for readmission. Students on an official leave of absence do not need to request readmission.

Students seeking readmission will be subject to the catalog requirements and academic standards for the academic year they are readmitted to the College. The Admissions Office will provide advisement for students on the correct procedures for readmission.

Criteria for Readmission

Admissions will consider academic, financial, and personal criteria prior to granting or denying readmission. Students who left the College in good personal and academic standing, and have not jeopardized their status during their absence, should not experience difficulty in being readmitted.

For students attempting to return after academic suspension, the following minimum criteria form the basis for a decision on readmission but do not imply that readmission is automatic:

  • Have completed at least two courses with a minimum grade of C in each course and a minimum cumulative average of 2.0 in liberal arts courses since separation.
  • Have no outstanding financial obligation to the College at the time of application for readmission.
  • Be able to provide evidence of personal responsibility as a student at Keene State College and the community at large.
  • If under a 2.0, the student must provide an academic plan for success as part of the readmission process.

Two academic options - the New Start Program and the Continuation Program - are available to students who seek readmission.

New Start Program

After a break of at least one full academic semester, a student who is not in good academic standing may seek readmission to the College under the New Start Program. Only students with a cumulative grade point average of below 2.0 are eligible for New Start. Students readmitted under the New Start Program essentially discard their previous cumulative averages. All courses and grades will be retained on the permanent transcript, but records will carry forward only credits, not grades, from previous course work that received a grade of C or better.

No minimum grade point average is required for readmission under the New Start Program. Grades earned at Keene State College prior to matriculation are not included in the computation of the student’s cumulative grade point average. Once readmitted, a student must achieve the minimum grade point average appropriate to his or her current standing.

A student may elect the New Start Program only one time and must do so at the time of application for readmission.

A nonmatricualted, continuing education student who has completed course work at Keene State College may elect to be admitted under the New Start Program.

Continuation Program

Students readmitted under the Continuation Program begin where they left off in terms of cumulative averages earned during previous academic work at Keene State.

In an effort to raise their cumulative averages, students may elect to use the “forgiveness policy,” which allows them to repeat courses once in which grades of C/D or less were received. Only the last grade received will be used in calculating the cumulative average. If a student repeats courses at another college or university, that institution must be regionally accredited, and the student must earn a grade of C or higher in the course(s) to be transferred. Keene State College will accept only the credit earned, not the grade. The original grade earned at Keene State will remain on the permanent transcript, but will not be included in the calculation of the cumulative grade point average. The student is responsible for reviewing, in advance, the content of any course to be repeated at another institution to determine whether the course is acceptable as equal under the forgiveness policy. The appropriate discipline coordinator should be consulted to assist in the determination of course equivalency.

New England Regional Student Program

Keene State College participates in a regional cooperative program, administered by the New England Board of Higher Education, which permits qualified, matriculated New England residents to study with reduced tuition and admission privileges in certain programs at other state colleges and universities.

This program expands higher education opportunities for New Englanders by making available to all residents on an equal basis majors or courses not commonly offered at every institution, thus reducing duplication of programs and utilizing more efficiently the higher education facilities for each state.

Bachelor’s Degree Programs Available to Residents of
B.A. American Studies RI, VT.
B.S. Chemistry-Physics VT.
B.A. Holocaust and Genocide Studies CT, MA, ME, RI, VT
B.S. Sustainable Product Design and Innovation CT, MA, ME, RI

Information about this program may be obtained from the Admissions or Academic and Career Advising Offices, high school guidance counselors, or

New England Board of Higher Education
45 Temple Place Boston, MA 02111 617-357-9620

Discipline Specific Instructions

Art Applicants

If you are interested in being accepted into either the Bachelor of Arts or the Bachelor of Fine Arts programs in Studio Art/or Graphic Design, admission is a two-step process.

First, complete the Common Application and the KSC supplement.

Second, in the Keene State College Member Questions section of the Common Application answer “Yes” to the question that asks if you intend to submit an Art supplement and you will be given access to Slideroom for submitting a portfolio of your work to the Art Department, following the requirements listed below. Access to Slideroom can be reached from the link below or from the Common Application site under Art Supplement.

Your portfolio will be reviewed only after you are admitted to the College. Admission into the Art Department does not guarantee admission into the College. Conversely, non-admission to the Art Department does not mean that you cannot be admitted into the College.

Once accepted into the Art Department you will be able to declare yourself a major in Art with one of the following degree options:

  • BA in Art with an option in Graphic Design
  • BFA in Art with an option in Graphic Design
  • BA in Art with an option in Studio Art
  • BFA in Art with an option in Studio Art or the BFA in Art with the Dual Option in Studio Art and Graphic Design**: After initial acceptance into the BA in Studio Art, a second portfolio of college level artwork is reviewed in the Sophomore or Junior Year at Keene State College

Portfolio Requirements for Slideroom:

  • 1. 10 to 20 pieces of original artwork including drawings, Studio Art and/or Graphic Design projects.
  • 2. Criteria used in evaluation includes skill with design, drawing, materials and creativity.
  • 3. A document numbered with each work’s title, medium, dimensions, and the level of completion (freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior). If completed independently, be sure to clearly state your concept.
  • 4. An essay is required. Please include the following information: Indicate your area of interest with regard to Graphic Design, Studio Art, or both in relation to your career goals. List the number and description of all art courses taken on the high school or college level. Describe your extracurricular activities and interests.
Application criteria for students currently matriculated at Keene State College can be located online in the KSC Catalog. **Please refer to the catalog for more information on BFA in Studio Art and the Dual BFA in Graphic Design and Studio Art.

Art Supplement

Nursing Applicants

First-Year Applicants for the Fall Semester.

Students planning to major in nursing must have a high school GPA of 3.25. Laboratory courses in biology and chemistry are strongly recommended as well as four years of math. First-year candidates for nursing will only be accepted in the fall semesters.

Transfer applications

Each cohort of Nursing majors is limited to 48 students; and few openings for transfer students are expected.

RN Completion Admission

If you are a Registered Nurse with an associate’s degree and licensure as a registered nurse and want to earn a Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing, you must apply for admission to Keene State as a transfer student.

All applicants must have an unencumbered New Hampshire license as an R.N.

Once admitted to the RN Completion major, you must meet with the Director of Nursing to determine your start date.

Admissions Requirements

Keene State reserves the right to close admissions to the nursing program irrespective of the April 1 deadline once class capacity has been reached.

Music Applicants

Music candidates: If you are interested in the Bachelor of Music degree in either performance or music education or the Bachelor of Arts degree with any of the music specializations, or if you are interested in a minor in music, admission is a two-step process.

  1. Complete the Common Application and the KSC supplement.
  2. Aarrange for an audition. For more information or to schedule an audition, please contact the Music Department at 603-358-2177 or e-mail .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

Admission to the music program does not guarantee admission to the College, and, conversely, non-admission to the music program does not mean that you cannot be admitted to the College.